
So here's the technical junk on the CGM. It's a separate little cathedar like thing that goes into his skin and reads the subcutaneous fluid for sugar. It's a seperate site from his insulin pump, which sorta sucks, but he doesn't seem to mind too much. We put numbing cream on his arm before we put it in and I don't think it hurt him too much but he was pretty scared of the inserter. It looked a lot like a gun.
The good thing about the sensor is that it only needs to be replaced every 7 days instead of every 3 days like his pump site.

I was a little worried about him having to wear two seperate devices, but we just put another pump pack on his little belt and he was off. He thinks it's pretty cool b/c it looks more like a tool belt. He also loves being ablt to tell me what his blood sugar is. He likes to pull out the receiver and tell me the number on the screen.
It truly is amazing being able to see what his blood sugar is doing all the time. Whether it's going up from just eating or going down b/c we gave him too much insulin. It's helped us prevent a lot of lows and a lot more highs. The best thing is that Aaron and I feel a lot more comfortable at night. We still get up every few hours to look at his sensor receiver, but we don't have to check him unless his receiver alarms b/c he's going too high or too low. It's like a safety net and I love it. It brings total peace of mind to Aaron and I. It was a huge relief to me this week after I read about a 13 year old girl who passed away in her sleep from low blood sugar. This is every diabetic parents worst nightmare and the very reason we would get up and check Brady every 2 hours. We will definetly be trying to convince our insurance company to let us get one of these cool tools to help us control Brady's blood sugar better.
1 comment:
Awesome. I'm glad to hear it helps you rest a little easier. How long do you have this one for?
Post a Comment