Monday, October 19, 2009

Frustrated

A lot of pregnant woman tend to get hormonal during their 9 months of incubation and I'm certainly not the exception. Except I'm not the kind that gets weepy or cries alot or even overly cranky (my husband might disagree.) I tend to get overy worried about things, such as my kids or myself getting sick.

My current worry is getting my kids the H1N1 vaccine. I know a lot of people aren't going to get it and that's fine, but I really don't feel like I have a choice with Brady having diabetes. It's just not something I'm going to roll the dice on. Aaron and I have even decided to pull the kids out of pre-school until they can get the vaccine. We just don't want to risk it.

So I've been calling around to doctors offices and pharmacies to see if anyone has the vaccine yet and no one does here in the Tri-Cities. Someone down at the pharmavy at the Safeway in Toppenish told my Mom that they would be getting H1N1 vaccines (the nasal vaccine only) this monday. So I went online the the Yakima Health Dept. and they listed all the Safeways in the valley that had the vaccine. One of those was the Safeway in Grandview but it listed that only children from age 5-19 could recieve it. I called up there to make sure they did have the vaccine and see if they would give it to my kids since Brady was in the high risk group. The guy I talked to said yes the chldren from the ages of 6 months to 19 could recieve the nasal vaccine and that I could bring my kids up. I was ecstatic to say the least. It was a huge relief for me.

So I get off the phone and get the kids in the car in literally 10 minutes. We grab some burger king on the way and make it up to Grandview in about 40 minutes. We get there and the lady giving the vaccine tells me that they can only give it to children 5 years old and up. And I explain to her that I drove all the way from Pasco and that I had called ahead to make sure my kids could get the vaccine. She's pretty unhelpful and really doesn't seem to care that no one on her staff can tell their head from their ass regarding who can get the vaccine and who can't.

I'm so frustrated that I say "this is just a suggestion, but maybe you're staff should have a meeting about who can and can't get the vaccine so you don't mislead people." And then I left. I was trying to make it out of the building before I burst into tears but I had promised the boys suckers if they were good about getting their vaccines. So we get the suckers and as we're paying for them the check out gal looks at my boys and says "oh look, one light and one dark." It took all my power to not punch her in the face and leave. So needless to say it's been a really frustrating day.

2 comments:

C.J. and Jen said...

Blast. I'm sorry. That really sucks.

The Coombs' said...

Oh my gosh! People suck!! I'm sorry to say, that I laughed about the whole "one light and one dark" thing. Brady is a pretty tan man! Don't let it get you down. My brother's whole family is sick with that right now, such a bummer!