Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Last evening at dinner time....

Last night around 6:00pm I was getting dinner ready, which consisted of a delicious hamburger helper casserole, and I started to feel a little shaky and dizzy. Aaron had just taken Brady's' blood sugar b/c we were about to eat and he was 103, perfect. I told Aaron that I thought my blood sugar was low b/c of the way I was feeling and he teased me that I was probably only 80, which isn't bad at all.

Brady has been down to 27, which is near passing out I can imagine, so I know I shouldn't complain, but I' v always wondered what he must feel like. So I decided to check my blood sugar with his meter and I was 78. Not bad, but man, if I was only 78 what the heck does he feel when he gets too low. Usually the only way I know he's low is how he acts. We've been trying to tell him to let us know when he feels low, and we tell him to tell us that he needs candy. But that sort of backfired b/c he will tell us he needs candy when he really doesn't, typical of a 2 year old. Anyhow, when he gets low his eyes get real glassy and a lot of times he will start to whine or cry. But when he's asleep he has no symptoms, which is why I have to check him at least once a night sometimes twice. We've been trying to convince his doctor to let him have a continuous blood glucose monitor that sends a signal to a little beeper which tells us his blood sugar every second. It would be awesome and keep him from getting too low b/c it would beep and tell us when his blood sugar was dropping. The only bad thing is that it's not approved for kids under 7. But I've heard of younger kids having it. Insurance probably wouldn't pay for it and they are pretty spendy, but it sure would be worth it. It's kinda funny though, b/c it such a routine for us now to check Brady's blood sugar before he eats and then give him a shot, that I've almost checked Ryker's too. Habit, I suppose.

1 comment:

The Coombs' said...

I think that is probably how I feel when I get pregnant and will sometimes get dizzy, sweaty, and nauseated and almost pass out. Let me tell you,it's not picnic. That monitor would be a blessing, hopefully he can get one soon!