Saturday, February 23, 2013

Hellyn

"My Grandfather, the cradle-robber, married Hellyn, 89, when he was 94. Hellyn passed away Tuesday at the age of 101. Hellyn said they just hoped for "One good year together", when they married (11+ years ago). On their wedding day, in her Gunne Sax wedding dress she asked me, "Do I look okay?". I assured her she did, and she assured me that my Grandfather was the best hand-holder, ever. She was a dear, sweet lady and gave us good grandma hugs, while telling us to stand up straight."  Barbara (Shearer) Dunlap, my cousin.
I really can't begin to describe what a special person Hellyn was.  But I can tell you what a difference she made in my Grandpa's life after my Grandmother past away.  I remember how sad my Grandpa was the first Christmas we celebrated after my Grandma Bernice passed away.  I remember how happy my Grandpa was the first time he brought Hellyn over to dinner at my parents house.  He was as giddy as a teenage boy.  They loved to go camping with us at Twin Lakes and even bought themselves a motorhome so they could be where all the action was.  They were perfectly content sitting together holding hands and watching all the commotion around them and they typically would take naps in this way too, always holding hands.  It was so nice to have a Grandmother figure back in our lives again.  I am so grateful to have known her and even more grateful for the happiness she brought my Grandpa and our family.  I will miss her quick wit and her hugs the most. I honestly feel like my life is missing something.  She will truly be missed.

No comments: