Monday, December 10, 2012

Stupid Questions

I get asked a whole lot of pretty stupid questions.  Questions about diabetes and questions about my kids usually top the list but the question that usually shocks me the most are the ones total strangers ask me.    
And the #1 stuipid question is: Does Brady's haves a different Dad than my other kids that just happens to be Mexican.
Brady and Jilly
The Linehan 3


I'm not really sure why people think it's OK to ask me these questions.  I certainly don't ask random people what their ethnic background is or whether or not they got knocked up and then came to their senses and settled down with a nice "man" instead of going on welfare and having 8 kids with 8 different dudes.  Seriously WTF.  Really people?!! Really.

I do get these same questions from my friends eventually.  They are cool enough to wait until they get to  know me a little bit and they don't just come out and ask if Brady has a different Dad, they usually ask where
Brady got such beautiful olive skin or something less offensive then the usual "is Brady part Mexican?"  I've also gotten the same question from doctors such as this gem from my OB "Oh your son brought a friend to your appointment, how nice"  or this one from his old endocrinologist "I think we should test Brady for an autoimmune disease in which the skin turns very dark"  to which I replied "dude, he was born that way."
This is Brady and his cousin Hannah who actually is half Mexican

Recently, his current Endocrinologist asked where Brady got his dark skin saying "because you and your husband don't really have dark skin, do your other kids?" (who he has met)  Apparently the reason he was concerned was because vitamin D deficiency is no bueno with kids with diabetes and Brady needed some blood work to determine whether he was deficient or not because kids with dark skin actually don't absorb as much vitamin D from the sun.  Who knew!!

And for the record, all my children came from the same seed contributer.  And honestly I don't know why Brady has darker skin then the rest of my kids.  My only explanation is that Aaron and I both have dark skin family members.  His Mom and Grandpa. My Aunt Martha is really dark too.  When my Mom was little she had super straight blond hair and very light skin, my aunt on the other hand had black curly hair and very dark skin and the were only 12 months apart.   Jilly's skin is darker then Ryker's but not as dark as Brady's.  Yet, Ryker still tans really well in the summer.  I was secretly really happy when Jilly was born and she looked like Brady and had darker skin too, just to help justify Brady's dark skin.  I even ignorantly thought it would help curb the ridiculous questions.  Nope, not so much.

The Seed Contributor  aka Big Daddy.


 Recently I helped out some middle school boys with a fundraising project for Brady's diabetes dog and I brought Brady in first to meet the kids, and then later on I brought in Jilly and Ryker.  This one  kid(who happened to be Hispanic) pointed at Ryker and asked who he was.  I told he that this was Brady's brother Ryker and his little sister Jilly.  The kids mouth dropped open  wide and said "for real?!!"  And I could just see the wheels in his head turning as he was about to ask me that dreaded stuipid question.  But I got out of there before he could.

All these questions do seem to bother Brady a bit because he has asked why his skin is so much darker than everyone else's in the family.  He even asked if Aaron and I were still his Mommy and Daddy.  (heart breaking right?)  So last year when I decided to get an Elf on the Shelf for the kids, I purposely got one with dark hair and dark skin for Brady's sake.  He picked up on it right away and told me "Mom look, Chip Chip has dark skin just  like I do!"

 Genetics is a funny thing my friends, .......a funny funny thing.

DISCLAIMER:  After sitting up in bed for an hour I realized I may be insulting a few people with my blog, which was never my intent. So I would just like to clear a few things up.  First, if you have 8 kids from 8 different dudes...awesome, good for you, I hope your getting some mad child support. Sorry if I offended you with my post, I do not think you are a whore.   Second, if you are Hispanic, I am sorry if this post offended you. I have absolutely no problem with people thinking my kid is half Hispanic.  It just pisses me off  that people think it's OK to ask me if my kids have two different Dad.....in front of my kids.  So not cool.  The interesting thing is that the majority of people that ask me about it are Hispanic.  Weird right?  Well, except for the douche canoe at the Safeway in Grandview,  she looked at my boys and exclaimed "look one light and one dark!" like she had just discovered America.  I wanted to punch her right in her pasty white throat.  But seriously I could care less if people think Brady is half Hispanic.  I would care the same minuscule amount if someone came up to us and asked "why is your son blue and your other kids aren't?"  And I would calmly reply "because his father is a smurf, you ignorant asshole."

DISCLAIMER #2:  Everything I say can also be contributed to the lack of sleep I get due to children waking up in the middle of the night and me checking Brady's blood sugar twice every night since he was 2.  So basically I am full of shit.

2 comments:

allison said...

My fave is the pic of Brady with Hannah, "who actually is half Mexican." :) Good to see a post from you again!

The Coombs' said...

That's baby girl gabe!! You seriously crack me up!