Monday, June 22, 2009

Thanks a pant load diabetes Gods.




Brady's 4th birthday has come and gone. We decided to just have a family party for several reasons, one being that Brady told me he didn't want friends b/c he was worried that they would take his presents and another being that it was a lot less work to just have a family party. The theme for his party was Curious George so we had a George Pinata and decorations. I decided to make his cake this year instead of buying one because it's cheaper and I can calculate the carbs in the cake better if I make it.

This is the second birthday Brady has had since he was diagnosed with diabetes. I made sure his dinner had lots of protein to balance out the carbs in his birthday cake. Eating some protein before eating a large amount of carbs helps to keep his blood sugar from skyrocketing. Unfortunately there will never be a birthday of pizza and birthday cake for him and I'm a little worried about future birthday invitations with this menu on the table.

None of this mattered though. The careful planning of his meal and birthday cake was in vane b/c right after he smashed his pinata to bits with carefully planned candy that we could later use for lows, we checked his blood sugar and he was low. He was 60. So we let him eat a little of the candy he worked so hard to retrieve and then sat down for dinner. He didn't eat much b/c he was so excited to open his presents. We made him wait, but after he was finished opening all his presents we got his cake ready. It had been about an hour since he was low so we checked him to make sure he wasn't still low. His blood sugar was 450!!?? WTF. He was 60 an hour before that. I didn't want to not let the kid eat his birthday cake that he had been so excited to eat all week, the cake he helped me bake and decorate with curious George. We don't eat a lot of cake at our house b/c of what it does to his blood sugar, so this was really a special treat and he had a friggin blood sugar of 450. Thanks a pant load diabetes Gods.

As it turns out he didn't want cake, which shocked me, but then I remembered that most people with a blood sugar that high feel pretty sick to they're stomach. He was high all night too and woke up with large ketones in his urine which is only a short step away from going in to diabetic ketone acidosis as well as a trip to the hospital. We got rid of them with lots of fluids and a little more insulin.

I really can't explain how frustrating it is to not be able to control his diabetes, especially on special days like his birthday. Seriously, every week it's different. I feel like we are constantly changing the settings on krypto machine trying to break the special "diabetes" code. Diabetes always seems to get in the way of a normal life and this frustrates the hell out of me. It makes me feel helpless. It makes me wonder if we're the only ones that have these problems or if all 4 years olds with diabetes are like this. Because I really feel like we're doing everything in our power to make sure he has a good A1C and keep any and all diabetes complication far away from his life.

Sorry, I needed to vent a little there.
I really don't know what made his BG so high, maybe it was just the excitment of his birthday, I've read that ones BG can react to things like excitment, anticipation, adrenaline, things like that.

Luckily he won't remember the high blood sugar or even not eating his birthday cake, but I'm sure he'll remember the gifts he got as well as beating the crap out of the Curious George Pinata. I suppose that's what I should remember too. Here are some pics of his special day. He's not a baby anymore, I'm not even sure if he's a toddler anymore. I suppose he's officially a little boy now. Rock on Brady, Rock on.

1 comment:

The Coombs' said...

This was posted forever ago, and I STILL hadn't read it! I'm a bad friend. That is crazy! At least he didn't really want cake and you didn't have to fight with him about it!